Friday, August 20, 2010

Girl Crush 2: Solanah from Vixen Vintage




I have been following Solanah's blog, Vixen Vintage, for a few months now. I can remember stumbling across her site and I couldn't keep myself from clicking the "older posts" button over, and over, and over again. I was just in awe of her style! From her head to her toes, Solanah embodies beauty + vintage  better than any one I have ever seen. She is such an inspiration and I'm thrilled to have her on the Odelma blog as Girl Crush #2! I'll let her tell you a little more about herself.




Hi! Tell us a little bit about yourself.  My name is Solanah, I live near Portland Oregon with my husband Sam and about a hundred vintage hats. Just call me the crazy hat lady.

How long have you had a fascination for all things vintage?  My aunt and sister in law were very much into vintage when I was a girl, and as I grew older I got their hand me downs, and their clothing just felt better than the stuff I'd get at the mall. I credit my beautiful mother for my sense of style, but my aunt and sister for my love of vintage (though my mother now loves it too). 




Do you have a favorite fashion era or time period? I gravitate towards the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. As much as I love the former two, my body type goes best in 50s fashions, the garments always seem to look custom made, which is something you can't beat!

Where is your favorite place to shop? I work at a local vintage shop so it's hard no to buy things there all the time. 






Who do you use as inspiration for your style? Any style icons (past or present) that you look up to? I use a lot of other vintage style bloggers as inspiration. Here are only a small handful of very inspiring ladies, there are so many more! 




What two pieces of clothing do you wear the most? Any favorites that you can't go a day without wearing? I think I wear berets quite a bit most of the year when it's cooler, I have lots of colors and they go with everything, perfect for just throwing on for a finished touch. My other favorite thing is bloomers. Since I wear dresses most of the time I always wear bloomers underneath, so I can have a bit more freedom climbing step ladders and kneeling at the jewelry cases at work. 






How long have you been collecting hats? I can't really remember how long it's been, I think my first hat was about ten years ago. But within the last two years I've really become addicted!




What other vintage collections do you have? I have a weakness for vintage cat eyes and petticoats. As soon as I say "enough!" I buy some more. Layers of tulle, and rhinestone studded plastic is just too irresistible. 





Any advice on how to incorporate more vintage pieces into a wardrobe? I say either start with a classic piece like a little black dress, or a pencil skirt, or incorporate a bold piece into a modern outfit. Such as a rhinestone brooch, or handpainted scarf. 






I've put together a few Solanah inspired outfits from the Vintage Etsy world so that you can see how easy it is to incorporate more vintage into your style.








A big THANK YOU! to Solanah for letting Odelma feature you, answering our questions, and letting us admire your style!!
Where else can you find Solanah? 

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Great outfits! Thanks, DJandPvintage

Dawn Steckmesser said...

Wonderful Blog! Thank you for featuring my hat!

Matilda said...

love the blouse on the second outfit! Stunning! <3

Oiseau Vintage said...

I love that Gingham dress, so cute. Thanks for featuring my skirt. :)

Q's Daydream said...

She is just a doll! I adore her!

I'm so honored she named me as one of her inspirations!!! hehe

LOVE your blog :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails