Monday, July 19, 2010

Big Eyed Beauties

I ran across these beauties at an antique store yesterday.
They were $3 each and I fell in love with them instantly.
I don't have a use for them now, but I have the perfect spot for them in the future!
I know that's ridiculous, but who cares.

Aren't they adorable?
What had me completely sold was when I turned around the one on the left 
and saw the name of the little girl: Emma.
Incase you didn't know, my name is Madalyn Emma.
And you all know I have a thing for names.

AND she has black hair!
We were meant.

At first glance, I didn't even notice the buck teeth. 
Luke pointed it out. And to be completely honest,
I still don't know if I am 100% sold that they are in fact buck teeth.
Still super cute.



If you notice, the artist is Soulet.
I did a little research and couldn't come up with much.
There was only one listing on Ebay for Soulet's prints,
 and only a couple on Etsy.

I did come across a lady's website with some more information on the
big eyed children art movement in the 60's and 70's. Considered kitschy, but
I am a lover of all things kitsch, so naturally I'd be drawn to these precious things.
Jodi has put together a fantastic list of other artists like Soulet,
 but I'm pretty sure Soulet is my fave. Like I need another collection.

So I will now be on the hunt for precious Soulet prints when I'm thrifting.
I have a fabulous project in mind later on (and I mean later on) down the road
that will include these little treasuries.

Great find!

If you ever come across some more, or have information on Soulet let me know! odelmavintage@gmail.com

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails